Monday, September 22, 2014

Picture Practice: Fall

Here's the deal, I have a "real" camera, but do I cart it around everywhere with me? Umm, no. Lately I've been trying to work on my phone photography skills (angles, lighting, different camera apps). Since I finally got the dining room table cleaned off and decorated for September, I thought it would be the perfect thing to practice my phone camera skills on!

 

My first attempt:

 

 

Ehh...not super in love with this one. The colors feel off and the straight-on view looks too stark with that white wall (that isn't even white in the picture).

 

My second attempt:

 

 

I took this one with the VSCO cam app. I'm still learning how to use this app. Right now I'm excelling at slapping a filter on it. I do like the angle more on this one though.

 

Clearly I have a lot of work to do- so this is the part where I ask for help! Give me your best phone photography tips, please!

 


post signature

4 comments:

Abby Lumbard said...

Oh Lord, I probably would have 0 pictures if not for my phone. Let me know whatever you find to work best! I need to up my iphone camera game.

Anonymous said...

Use lots of bright light so that you can get away with no using the camera flash, the flash on my phone always makes all my pictures look so wrong.

I like angle of the second picture the best but I like the colors in the centerpiece on the first one better. I can see in more detail what is actually there. I don't use VSCO but if they have a "fill light" option try it on picture 2.

Donna said...

I can't seem to master the art of phone-photography, and I recently got a new case which makes it even more difficult because it seems to hinder the flash.

Trish said...

I suuuuuuck at taking pictures with my phone. But I think it might have a lot to do with the fact that when I'm using my phone to take pictures it's to capture something really quick so I don't take the time to TRY to make the picture good. Someone else mentioned using natural light - which I second. I think that will be the biggest factor in getting the pictures to come out well.