Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Potty training: chapter two

I've been meaning to write about our second attempt on potty training for a couple of weeks (you can read about the beginning of the journey here) and I'm finally getting around to it.

 

 

After attempting casual potty training on Saturday and Sunday of that week, I decided to try again on Wednesday since we would be home all day. I was all set and ready to go. We woke up and I put on big boy underwear on Clay and set the alarm for every ten minutes. Our first visit in, we sat there and sat there and sat there... Twenty minutes later I get him off the potty and decide to try again in ten minutes. TWO minutes later Clay pees in his bedroom floor. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

 

The plan just wasn't working. Plus, we were low on carpet cleaner (I know, bad planning). Then, I had the most genius of genius ideas. I would put Clay in the kitchen to play with his dollhouse turned car garage and Curious George on the ipad! Perfect! I could cook lunch and Clay could play in an area that was easily cleaned in between his potty visits.

 

 

WRONG. So, so, so wrong, Jess. See that arrow? It's pointing to my ipad. Soon after I took this picture, Clay moved over to the side of the house to play and peed. Lots of pee. The ipad case WAS made out of this weird rubber/cloth material. It was gone. No amount of cleaning would help.

 

After that incident we had lunch and put a diaper on and headed for naptime. For both of us. Because I earned it after that.

 

 

After lunch I decided to let Clay watch Planes on the couch on a waterproof pad and continue to try the potty every ten minutes. I even put the little potty in the living room. Well, folks, we ran out of pads. No more sitting on the couch. Then we ran out of carpet cleaner. I gave up. I just couldn't do it anymore.

 

Then life got crazy with all of the birthday shenanigans. We continued to talk about the potty. A lot. Clay even started talking about the potty a lot. But if you asked him if he needed to go? "No." If you put him on the potty. Nada. He was ready though, so ready. By that I mean he woke me up one night with a diaper in his hand asking to be changed. Ready.


And a random funny story: when Clay had gas he used to tell us he pooped. Now? He goes, "no poop, just gas." Every.single.time.


Okay, back to where we are: Clay is having more dry diapers, he's peed in the potty exactly one time (after he held it on a four hour roadtrip, still haven't figured that one out), and I still haven't bought more carpet cleaner. Oh, and Clay likes to mess with his diaper. So twice last week he peed in my bed while I was showering. Once on my birthday. On my birthday. Also, we're kinda hanging back until Clay transitions to the next class at daycare next week. They will start potty training when he moves up so I'm really hoping it will help to be training at home and at daycare.

 

Feel free to send cases of wine, chocolate, and coffee.

 

post signature

 

6 comments:

Abby Lumbard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abby Lumbard said...

I hate to admit it but so much of the few successes that we have had came with Emma switching to a new "older" room at daycare. Suddenly she was one of the few kids still in diapers and she wanted to go on the potty like all the other kids. It seemed like things started clicking after that.. but don't let that fool you. We've still got a ways to go. Hang in there! (And cheers. I don't know about you but it seems like I've got a wine glass glued to my hands throughout this entire phase)

Anonymous said...

Potty training was super frustrating but then one day it just worked. She just decided today was the day she would use the potty, we've had a few accidents since then (mostly because she's busy playing and can't get to the potty fast enough).

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

haha awww "no poop, just gas" that's so adorable!

Desiree Macke said...

Kudos for sticking out the training for as long as you have/are. I made it an afternoon. One singular afternoon. Marcus isn't ready for this potty business (even though he'll tell me if his diaper is dirty), and there isn't enough wine in the world for me. Soooo, we'll just wait it out.
Our boys won't go to kindergarden in diapers… Right?

Katie @ yellowmangolife.blogspot.com said...

Potty training blows! Nothing else about it....I wish I had some great piece of advice but we went through very similar with Cruz and then it really just clicked. Sometimes I don't understand those kids...Good luck mama!