Friday, July 13, 2012

Food Friday!

As part of my blogging adventure I have decided to bring you all Food Friday! Each Friday I will bring you a new recipe I've tried or an old favorite for the weeks when my culinary attempts consists of pbjs!

This week I tried a new recipe with my dear friend Liz. When we find time in our busy schedules to make dinner together we go in search of new recipes to try and usually come out with a winner! This week was no exception!

I turned to an old favorite for this week's recipe: Real Simple. If you've never visited this website or read the magazine, put it on your to do list! I found a few options but we decided to go with Spaghetti with Zucchini, Walnuts and Raisins (just for fun I'll put links to the runners up below!).

Here's the recipe with the changes we made bolded:

Ingredients:

12 oz spaghetti (3/4 box)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 c. walnut halves, roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (we used minced garlic)
1 1/2 lbs small zucchini (4 to 5), cut into thin half-moons
3/4 c. raisins
kosher salt and black pepper
1/4 c. grated Parmesan (1 oz)
*we also added some cut pineapple to the mix too

Directions:

1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and return to the pot.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the walnuts and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, 3 or 4 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, about 1 minute.
4. Add the zucchini and raisins (and pineapple) and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until the zucchini is just tender, 4 or 5 minutes.
5. Add the zucchini mixture to the pasta and toss to combine. Sprinkle with Parmesan before serving.

image

Tada! A wonderful meal with very few ingredients that takes very little time...in other words, every mom's dream!

image
image

As promised, here are links to the runners up!

Honey Chicken Skewers with Grilled Corn Salad

Grilled Lemon Chicken with Cabbage Corn Slaw

I would love to hear if you try any of the recipes I feature or of any changes you made!

Love,
Jess

1 comment:

edawkins said...

So delicious!