This is a recipe that I tried a few months ago but I love it so much I wanted to share it with you! Liz and I found this gem on Pinterest courtesy of the food blog Pinch of Yum.
Healthy Sweet Potato Skins
- 2 medium or large sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 bag fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 2 ounces light cream cheese
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bake sweet potatoes at 350 for 45-60 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Cut sweet potatoes in half and let cool for 5-10 minutes. While sweet potatoes are cooling, saute the shallots with the butter over medium heat until translucent. Add fresh spinach and heat for 2-3 minutes, until spinach has cooked down. Set aside.
- Scrape the sweet potato out of the peel, leaving a thin layer inside with the peel so that it can stand up on its own. Mash the sweet potato with the cream cheese and sour cream. Stir in chickpeas, spinach, and salt and pepper.
- Coat potato skins with a drizzle of oil and bake for about 5 minutes to get a crispier outside. Remove from oven and fill each skin with the sweet potato mixture and top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake again for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and filling is heated through.
Let me know how this turns out for you!