Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I knew I was really a mom when...

WARNING: THIS POST IS NOT FOR PEOPLE WITH WEAK STOMACHS

I've been babysitting a sweet 6 month old boy a couple times a week which has been a good refresher on caring for an infant since I haven't babysat one in a year or so. Today started out very uneventful. He woke, we played, we ate, he pooped, he napped. Then it began. He got fussy so I picked him up and held him on my shoulder to comfort him. Then, a fountain of puke erupted on my shoulder. I cleaned us off the best I could which basically meant stripping him and trying to wipe me up. At this point he was upset so I continued to hold him. Five minutes later. Another puke volcano. My hair. The floor. My clothes. Basically everywhere except on him. I started wiping up again and got the most of it then realized he just needs to be held. So I just sat there in his room in reach of the wipes and burp cloths and just held him.

I realized I was really a mom when the puke didn't make me puke!! I have an extremely horrible gag reflex. If someone pukes at the very least I'm gagging. I always wondered what I was going to do when I had a child...how would I take care of them without getting sick myself?? I watched my mom take care of my sister and me and couldn't figure out how she did it. She even took care of me through a stomach virus this past December. I'm 26 and not ashamed a bit of that.

Anyway, I did it! I didn't gag, I didn't get sick. And I realized that sometimes you just need to put the child ahead of your insane OCD ways. Sometimes just holding the baby when you're both sticky with puke is more important than cleaning.

The happy ending to this story is that his mom arrived home 30 minutes after the eruption started so I got to leave and go home and shower. :)

Love,
Jess

No comments: