Wednesday, February 13, 2013

What I Ate Wednesday- Polenta!

I have a confession to make. I've recently fallen in love. With polenta.

I was inspired to try a polenta recipe after seeing THIS recipe over at Pinch of Yum. At first I was going to make that recipe then realized I had practically none of the ingredients so I thought I would go about making up my own recipe using polenta. I've made two dishes in the past week with polenta and loved them! I used premade polenta in both of these recipes to cut down on time by you can easily make your own.

Easy Peasy Chili Polenta Pie

Note: I also have an obsession with canned chili, but you can easily substitute your own chili recipe.

2 cans of chili
1 tube of polenta
1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese

-preheat oven to 350 degrees
-spray pie dish with cooking spray
-layer in dish one can of chili, half of the cheese, other can of chili
-cut polenta in slices and place on top
-top with remaining cheese
-cook 15 minutes (or until cheese is melted and dish is heated through)
-enjoy!




20130212-200518.jpg



Taco Polenta Pie

Basically any dish I make with polenta will end with "pie" just because I like the way it sounds.

1 pack of chicken breasts
1 onion
salt
pepper
1/2 package of frozen corn
taco seasoning
tube of polenta
1 1/2 cups of Mexican style shredded cheese
taco toppings of your choice

-place chicken and chopped onion in crockpot and salt and pepper to taste
-cook on low for 8-10 hours
later...
-preheat oven to 350 degrees
-spray dish with cooking spray
-shred chicken (this is SUPER easy after the chicken has been in the crockpot all day)
-mix chicken with cooked corn and taco seasoning and place in dish
-cut polenta into slices and place on top of chicken
-top with cheese
-cook for 15 minutes (or until cheese is melted and dish is heated through)
-top with your favorite taco toppings and enjoy!




20130212-200635.jpg


Notes:
This dish is super customizable. Change up the meat! Change up the toppings! Put it on top of salad! Add peppers to the crockpot!
Trader Joe's sells a kit to make your own fresh guacamole. It tastes REALLY good on this dish!



I hope you enjoy!

Love,
Jess

No comments: