Tuesday, January 28, 2014

How to Find a Babysitting Job

Hey, guys! I'm excited to continue The Babysitter Files series this week! Last week I looked at How to Find a Good Babysitter. This week I'll be looking at it from the opposite viewpoint with How to Find a Babysitting Job.

 

 

Why babysit?

I babysat on the side before I had Clay and have continued since Clay has been born for a few reasons:

  • I really like the families I babysit for.
  • It gives me something to do on nights when Clay is at Mike's.
  • It's a great way to supplement my income so I can stay home two mornings a week with Clay.
  • After the kids go to bed I have "me" time. I get to blog. Paint my nails. Watch tv. All without feeling guilty about all the things that need to be done at home.


Where to look

That being said, I haven't started babysitting for new families lately but I remember when I first started that it was difficult knowing where to start. Here are few ideas of places to look:

  • Sittercity. It's free to join as a sitter and you can search through listings and apply for jobs. For $10 Sittercity will run a background check on you that lasts a year and "certify" you. (Also, care.com but I personally never used it but I imagine it is similar to Sittercity.)
  • If you already babysit, let the family know that you're okay with them passing along your info to friends.
  • If you're a college student, ask around and see if the college keeps a list of babysitters for professors and others who inquire.
  • Make a flyer. Hang it up at your apartment complex, church, wherever!


Tips for getting the job

After you find a family, then what? If you don't know the family, more than likely they will invite you over for an interview/get to know the family. A few things to remember:

  • Dress accordingly. I usually wear nice jeans and a nice top. Look nice but dress comfortably if you end up playing on the floor with the kids.
  • Bring any certification cards in case the parents want to see them (CPR, First Aid) and bring a list of references (if they haven't already asked).
  • Bring your planner. I've had a mom book me for five different dates at the end of an interview before.
  • Be on time. Duh.
  • Don't be afraid to ask questions. If the parents don't supply the info, ask about allergies or if there's anything you need to know about the child(ren).
  • Have a rate that you charge. Most parents will ask. I'm not going to discuss rates because it honestly depends on where you live. However, I will say that the more kids, the more I charge. I usually do a scale: 1-2 kids= $X, 3+kids= $X + $1 for each additional child.

Chances are if you make a good impression and are an awesome babysitter, you'll become that family's go-to babysitter and they will happily give you referrals!

 

post signature

 

3 comments:

Trish said...

On the other side of it, I never know what a good rate is for a babysitter. I've seen it all over the place in this area. I got some serious sticker shock when someone wanted $50 to watch the kid for 4 hours. I don't know if that's normal, but I certainly can't afford it :)

Kelly said...

I have never done SitterCity but I might have to look into it when I'm off crutches!

xx Kelly
Sparkles and Shoes

Liz @ Fitness Blondie said...

I have used both of them before, for my brother since he has a son (care.com and sittercity) and I perfer Sittercity over Care. The certified background checks and it's more friendly to use.